Deerhound

A passionate little blog started by a deerhound dog in Scotland called Rogue ‘Brylach’ MacAllister then Passed to Rascal ‘Logan’ Dorrator Heath and now picked up by Rebel Borrodhail 'Muirfinn' and Rocket Borrodhail 'Frode'.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Red Barons hound

In the world of celebrity and history, every day is a Deerhound day. And continuing the fascination, fun, and finds of all things deerhound, today we bring you a hound by the name of Moritz.

Who in the family history is Moritz? I hear many a Scottish Deerhounds ask.

None other than the Ace of Aces, Captain of the Flying Circus’ and better known as ‘The Red Baron’ - Manfred von Richthofen’s hound. That’s Moritz.

Now we know that the Baron had a penchant for hunting and horse riding, and we know the hunting of the time probably included hounds, which may have included deerhounds amongst them. Some reports have referred to Moritz as a deerhound, I have seen two rather old images, both with the dog blurred in motion, making the confirmation of the breed dificult. Manfred von Richthofen himself commented as below in 1917 . . .

“The most beautiful being in all creation is the genuine Danish hound, my little lap-dog, my Moritz.”

Was Moritz a brindle Great Dane with a slightly scruffy long haired coat or part Deerhound/Great Dane cross or even a Deerhound? It is difficult to detect from photographs as I mentioned but I’m sure a little deeper research could unearth the truth.

Anyone with pedigree information send comment to Rogues Blog.

And should you wish to read The Barons writings, THE RED FIGHTER PILOT from his experience up to and during the Great War including some of his hunting exploits, visit the link.

We can see Moritz above as part of this photograph of von Richthofen chatting with Leutnant Loewenhardt. It is thought that the pic may very well be the last photograph taken of him alive, taken shortly before he took off on his final mission.

What became of Moritz?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The Red Baron's Last Flight" by Franks and Bennet says p95 that "Von Richthofen's dog Moritz was adopted by Leutnant Alfred Gerstenberg, a former pilot in Jasta 11, who took him home to his farm. Many years later Moritz died there of old age. Gerstenberg became a Generalleutnant in the Luftwaffe in WW2 and died in 1959."

1:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own a Plott hound cross - with German Shepherd and his dog and my own "Duffel" are a set of bookends in looks and size. - You know that Plott Hounds were bred first in Germany and then brought to the USA to North Carolina. - I was stopped in my tracks this morning to see the very image of Duffel kissing the Barron in a Saturday Morning Youtube documentary. -

1:59 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Moritz was definitely a brindle, but with short fur, and I've got greyhounds just as big as he appears in this picture, and his head leads me away from him being a Great Dane.

Anonymous' Plott hound sounds like a very good candidate.

Another photo of the Baron and his pup:
http://buzzlamp.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/RP008.jpg

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8riAaPEcwIw Around 20-25 minutes into this old film footage we see Moritz up close with a bunch of the men as well as Richthofen. I am curious though as to what breed Moritz is....so has anyone agreed on that yet?

8:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have also just seen a few photos and Moritz to me looks like a lurcher (Greyhound cross with something else - maybe a Great Dane as someone suggested).

9:20 am  
Blogger william gregorie vardell said...

I have a plott hound, and was watching a Red Baron documentary, also on YouTube and my dog is an exact match of Moritz albeit somewhat smaller

7:40 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

“The most beautiful being in all creation is the genuine Danish hound, my little lap-dog, my Moritz.”

I thinking greyhound/great dane mix. The head certainly looks more greyhound, but he's big. My Dane thinks shes a lap dog.

7:02 am  
Blogger EvS fan said...

He was a purebred. I found this website. ttps://nationalpurebreddogday.com/the-red-barons-great-dane/

6:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home